George Mason University Korea is looking for qualified applicants for a full-time Academic Advisor position in the Office of Academic Affairs. The incumbent in this position will be responsible for individual and group advising for undergraduate students majoring in Global Affairs, Economics or other majors at GMU Korea. The Academic Advisor supports and guides students to make good decisions about course selection and degree planning, and also connects them with appropriate resources to achieve their educational goals. The candidate works to ensure compliance with university degree requirements and academic regulations. This position reports directly to the Chief Academic Advisor at George Mason University Korea.
Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Serve as a point of contact to undergraduate students with questions about academic advising for Global Affairs and Economics majors.
- Educate students about university deadlines, policies and procedures.
- Communicate college and major degree requirements to advisees.
- Guide new students at academic orientation on course plans and registration.
- Assist students with processing requests (e.g. course substitutions, transfer credit re-evaluation inquires, change of major, etc).
- Keep current on continually changing curriculum requirements.
- Execute proactive advising for at-risk students with targeted outreach and monitor their progress in the Academic Intervention Program.
- Assist with eligibility review for GMUK students going to Fairfax. (All GMUK students are required to spend two semesters studying at the main campus.)
- Serve as a resource person in the mentoring program.
- Assist with advising-related administrative tasks.
- Keep advising notes and records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least 2 years of experience in higher education;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Korean;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (ex. Word and Excel, PowerPoint, and other software applications)
- Experience with academic advising at the university level;
- Experience with Banner or Degree Works and using technology to support student success
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
- Submit applications to: GMUKHR@gmu.edu with
- Cover letter,
- Three references with contact information. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicants.)
- All application materials should be submitted in English
- Review process will begin immediately. For best consideration, application materials should be received by August 31, 2018.
- Interview will take place after Review process.
About George Mason University Korea
George Mason University Korea is an extended campus of George Mason University, which has three campuses in the United States. GMUK is located on the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Songdo, in the city of Incheon, Korea. Songdo is a vibrant international community, designated as a “Smart City,” located approximately half hour from Seoul’s Incheon International Airport and about an hour from Seoul. George Mason University Korea began its operation in March 2014 and has grown ten-fold since the opening. GMU Korea students receive the same George Mason University degree as the students in the United States and spend one year on the U.S. campus in Fairfax, near Washington DC. Current degrees offered include accounting, finance, management, economics, global affairs, conflict analysis and resolution–all ranked in the top 100 in the world. GMUK will offer a graduate program in systems engineering in Spring 2019 and plans to add additional programs, both undergraduate and graduate, in the next several years. To find out more about GMU Korea please visit our website at http://masonkorea.gmu.edu/.