July 5, 2018

Graduate Admissions

College of Education and Human Development

Curriculum and Instruction, MEd

The Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and Exceptional Learners (TCLDEL) program prepares educators for careers in diverse classrooms around the world. Students enrolled in the Mason Korea program will receive a Master’s in Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in TCLDEL. Teachers can select a specialization in International English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Education, or Advanced International Baccalaureate (IB) Studies.

Read more about this program on the department’s website.

[English Brochure] Click to download

[Presentation Powerpoint] Click to download 

Visa for International Students

All undergraduate and graduate international applicants must be eligible to study with their visa at George Mason University Korea.

Visa Eligibility

If you are a non-Korean citizen wanting to study at George Mason University Korea, you must first obtain the D-2 visa. Please check with the Korea Immigration Service at this link: Full Immigration Guideline. If you possess a visa other than D-2, you are required to visit the Immigration Office for confirmation of the eligibility of studying abroad with your current visa. If you do not have the eligibility to study abroad, you must obtain an appropriate visa to study abroad or obtain an approval on your current visa for allowance of studying abroad. Even if you carry a valid visa for study abroad, you must apply for an update before the semester begins to reflect the affiliated school information on your visa at the Korean Immigration Office. If you have a C-3 visa (short-term permission for general purpose) instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arrival through the Korean Immigration Office.

++ Dual citizen students with South Korean nationality may be subject to additional legal requirements;

Male dual citizen students with South Korean nationality may be subject to South Korea’s military requirements. Male dual citizen students with South Korean nationality must resolve dual citizenship military requirements with their current country of residence’s Embassy of the Republic of Korea.

Immigration for International Students

Generally Students will need to contact the South Korea embassy or consulate in their country to apply for a South Korea student visa (i.e., the D-2 visa). Below is a list of documents generally required for application. Documents may be added or exempted as needed at the discretion of the immigration officer in charge of individual review processes. Students are highly recommended to contact their local South Korea Embassy, Consulate, or Immigration Office for the most updated visa information and requirements.

  1. Application form with passport photo (color; 3.5cm x 4.5cm; taken within the past six months) *The application is also available at the embassy, consulate, and Immigration Office
  2. One copy of your passport (bio-data page)
  3. Signed certificate of admission (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  4. George Mason University Korea business registration certificate (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  5. Letter of admission (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  6. Official transcript
  7. Application fee (varies according to country; $45 USD in the United States, cash or money order to “Embassy of Korea”)
  8. Valid passport

Proof of funding is required before George Mason University Korea will send you items 3, 4, and 5. Please read OIPS – Proof of Funding for more information. If your parents are sponsoring you financially, additional proof of your relationship may be required (e.g., copy of birth certificate). Additional Resources

  Please contact the Office of Admissions at email: askmk@gmu.edu or phone: +82-32-626-5021 for further details on required documents and materials for the visa.