To promote a stronger sense of mutual responsibility, trust, and fairness among all members of the Mason community, and with the desire for greater academic and personal achievement, we, the student members of the university community, have set forth this honor code: Student members of the George Mason University community pledge not to cheat, plagiarize, steal, or lie in matters related to academic work.
Mason Honor Code: What does it mean?
The Honor Code at George Mason University shall be specifically concerned with cheating or attempted cheating, plagiarism, lying, and stealing in an academic setting. Examples of these include but are not limited the following:
- Use of unauthorized material
- Use of unauthorized assistance
- Duplicate use of student’s prior work
- Violation of syllabus requirements regarding integrity
- Inadequate citation
- False citation
- Failure to adhere to citation forms set by the professor
- Failure to quote sources/material
- Submission of another individual’s work
- Removing an exam from a classroom
- Posting or enabling of posting of homework assignments and/or exams or solutions on websites
- Taking photos of exams/academic work without authorization
- Taking someone else’s work without knowledge
- Falsifying sources, data, or information
- Providing a false excuse for missing a test or class
- Providing false information, including identifying information
- Falsifying official correspondence
What does Mason mean when it uses the term academic integrity?
According to Webster’s dictionary, integrity is an “adherence to ethical principles.” A person who has integrity practices honesty in all things and does what is “right” even if it flies in the face of what is commonly accepted by their peers. Academic integrity refers specifically to those actions and intentions associated with your work at George Mason University.
Your commitment to not “cheat, steal, plagiarize, or lie in matters related to your academic work” is of great importance to the Mason community. Students who lack integrity devalue our degrees and harm Mason’s reputation, which can have a direct negative impact on you in your attempts to begin a career after graduation.
What are the potential consequences of violating the honor code?
What are ways faculty and students can work to prevent violations of the honor code?
Looking for a full reading of the Honor Code and System?
Click Here to download the full document.
For more information, please visit the Office of Academic Integrity.