You are considered a transfer student if you have enrolled at a college or university after graduating from high school. George Mason University (GMU) Korea has accepted transfer students who have attended universities in the U.S., Korea, and other countries. The Office of Admissions works closely with students to determine the number of credits that will transfer into their GMU Korea degree program. Most enrolled students are still completing their first two years of university study. To be sure that GMU Korea is the right fit for you, we encourage you to obtain a transfer credit evaluation from the Office of Admissions, and to work with the Student and Academic Affairs staff at GMU Korea for course advising before submitting an enrollment deposit.
Transfer Application Procedures and Admission Requirements
Applicants to George Mason University Korea are required to meet the same rigorous admission standards as those applying to Mason campuses in the United States. Prospective students are required to demonstrate strong academic potential and the ability to succeed in Mason’s challenging academic environment.
The following materials must be submitted in order to apply for transfer admissions to GMU Korea
- A completed online application form for GMU Korea and the application fee
- Official university transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended showing a strong academic performance.
- If you have completed less than 30 university credits, you will be required to submit official high school transcripts and may be asked to submit SAT or ACT scores.
- Verification of English language proficiency (see language requirements below)
- If you attended a university that does not follow a US or Korean curriculum you will be required to submit a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES (www.naces.org) recognized evaluation agency to aid with the transfer credit evaluation.
All applicants whose native language is not English are required to show proof of English language proficiency by satisfying one of the following language requirements:
- TOEFL iBT score of 80 or higher
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- SAT Critical Reading score of 500 or higher or an ACT-English score of 20 or higher
- Completion of English Composition I and English Composition II or the equivalent with a grade of C or higher at a regionally accredited US university.
Patriot Plus Program (P.P.P)
GMU Korea offers an exciting one-year program specifically designed for academically qualified students who need additional English language assistance. Students must score at least 69 on their TOEFL iBT or 6.0 in their IELTS to qualify for the program. Students will receive extensive English language support during the first year of study while earning two full semesters of academic credit toward their Mason bachelor’s degree. Upon successful completion of the Patriot Pathway Program, students will move directly into a full academic course load without any further testing required.
1. All test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, and ACT) must be submitted directly to the Admissions Office (Fairfax) from the testing agency.
2. All supporting documentation (Official Transcript, Certificate of Graduation, Recommendation letter, etc.) must be sent to the Office of Admissions in either campus:
George Mason University
Office of Admissions
4400 University Drive, MSN 3A4
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA
Office: +1 703 993 2400 | Fax: +1 703 993 4622
George Mason University Korea
Office of Admissions & Enrollment, #511
119 Songdomunhwa-ro, Yeonsu-gu,
Office: 032 626 5021 | Fax: 032 626 5402
Transfer Credit Guideline
1) Only coursework with grades of C or higher are eligible for transfer credit review.
2) Only mathematics courses that are Calculus-level or higher are accepted. No credit is awarded for Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Pre-Calculus, College Mathematics, etc.
3) We do not offer transfer credit for ESL coursework or English classes taught specifically for international students.
4) English composition classes taught outside the US or UK or at an international institution that does not hold a US regional accreditation are not eligible for transfer credit.
5) Elective credit may be offered for Business related courses, but the School of Business does not generally offer course credit for classes taken at non-AACSB accredited schools.
6) We must have the sealed, official transcript sent to us directly from the original institution in order for us to award transfer credit. Credit will not be awarded from unofficial transcripts.
7) Students must apply as transfer students at the time of admission if they have any previous university credit. If they do not, we consider this a violation of the academic honor code (as they are being dishonest about their academic history).
For students who attended universities outside of the US or that follow a non-US based curriculum, we will request a course-by-course evaluation from an outside credential evaluation agency like World Education Services (www.wes.org) or AACRAO (www.aacrao.org). Those are two recommended services, but the student can use any NACES (www.naces.org) recognized credential evaluation agency. The evaluation helps determine the US credit value of each course and allows us to award the appropriate amount of Mason credit for the coursework they completed.
Immigration and Financial Support Documents
Documentation for the Korean visa application will be required for non-Korean students after they have been admitted and made the decision to enroll at GMU Korea. Prospective GMU Korea students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are required to submit financial documentation verifying that they have sufficient funds to cover their education and living expenses for the required year (one year) of study at the Fairfax Campus before an official acceptance letter will be sent.
Click here for detailed international student visa information.
The Office of Admissions prefers all applicants to apply online at admissions.gmu.edu/applynow. You may access the admission application at your convenience, 24 hours a day. The undergraduate application fee is currently $80 for online applications. All application fees are non-refundable.
For More Information
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
- Office: +82 32-626-5021
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org