Frequently Asked Questions


General Questions

How do I apply to an undergraduate program at the Korea campus?

Applicants must submit the following documents:

  1. An Online Application through the University website. Please refer to FAQ Question 2.
  2. An original, official high school transcript including the date of graduation to either the Korea campus or the main United States campus. Please refer to FAQ Question 11 and 12.
  3. Non-native English speakers are also required to provide proof of English language proficiency (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, or SAT scores). Please refer to FAQ Question 14 and 15.

Please refer to our Admissions Flier. Please note that the application fee of USD 80 is non-refundable.

How do I fill out an application for the Korea campus?

Please refer to the Apply Now page to read our application tips and start your online application.

When may I apply to the Korea campus?

Applications to the standard 16-week semester are open twice per calendar year to accommodate both domestic and foreign high school graduation timelines.

The application for the spring semester opens during the preceding August (e.g., the Spring 2019 application opens in August 2018).

The application for the fall semester opens during the preceding October (e.g., the Fall 2019 application opens in October 2018).

When and how can I learn the admissions decision?

The Office of Admissions will write an email to each applicant confirming or denying admission to the University. It generally takes approximately four to five weeks to receive a decision after both completion of the application and submission of all application-related documents.

Do I have to provide financial documentation if I am not a United States citizen?

You do not have to provide financial documentation at the time of your application to the Korea campus. However, completion of your degree program requires studying at the main George Mason University campus in Fairfax, Virginia, the United States for your sixth and seventh semesters. All non-United States citizens will eventually need to apply for a student visa to study at Fairfax, and financial verification will be required to receive your student visa.

What is a G Number?

The G Number is a unique identifying number for each member of the University community. The G Number is preceded by a “G” and contains eight digits (e.g., G12345678). You will receive your personal G Number from the Office of Admissions by email within 48 hours after completing your application and paying the application fee. This G Number will become your student number once you matriculate into the University.

If you do not receive your G Number within 48 hours and you completed the entire application process, please contact the Korea campus Office of Admissions and Enrollment by calling +82-32-626-5021 or sending an email to

Do non-Korean nationals require a visa to study at the Korea campus?

Yes. Please refer to our Immigration Support for more details.

What is PPP curriculum?

PPP curriculum is specifically designed for academically qualified students who need additional English language assistance.

Students must score at least TOEFL 69 (15 or higher for each sub-score) or IELTS 6.0 (5.5 or higher for each sub-score) to qualify for the program. Students will receive extensive English language support during the first year of study while earning two full semesters of academic credit toward their Mason bachelor’s degree. Upon successful completion of the curriculum, students will move into their second year.

May I receive credit from an AP, IB, or A-level exam?

This is very possible. Click here for the pertinent transfer credit policy. It outlines the subjects and exams that are eligible and the necessary grades or scores.

Please note that we must have the official AP exam results from the College Board, an official International Baccalaureate (IB) exam certificate, or A-Level exam certificate from Edexcel or Cambridge International Examinations. Credit will not be awarded for a score listed on a high school transcript, nor for an AS-level exam. Please contact the Korea campus Office of Admissions and Enrollment by calling +82-32-626-5021 or sending an email to

As a transfer applicant, will my current credits transfer to your university?

Official transfer credit determinations are made after enrolling into the University. You may view the results through Patriot Web. However, there are resources that may provide you some general insight on the process of transfer credits:

Please also refer to the following transfer credit guidelines:

  1. Only coursework with grades of C or higher are eligible for transfer credit review.
  2. Only mathematics courses that are calculus-level or higher are accepted. No credit is awarded for algebra, intermediate algebra, pre-calculus, college mathematics, etc.
  3. We do not offer transfer credit for ESL coursework or English classes taught specifically for international students.
  4. English composition classes taught outside the United States or the United Kingdom, or at an international institution without a United States regional accreditation, are not eligible for transfer credit.
  5. Elective credit may be offered for business-related courses, but the School of Business generally does not offer course credit for classes taken at non-AACSB-accredited schools.
  6. We must have your sealed, official transcript sent to us directly from the original institution to receive transfer credit. Credit will not be awarded from unofficial transcripts.
  7. An applicant is required to apply as a transfer students at the time of admission if she or he has any previous university credit. If she or he fails to apply as a transfer student when required, we consider this a violation of our academic honor code.

For a student who attended a university outside of the United States, or a university that follows a non-United States-based curriculum, we will request a course-by-course evaluation from an outside credential evaluation agency recognized by NACES (e.g., World Education ServicesAACRAO). The evaluation helps determine the United States credit value for each course, thus allowing us to potentially award transfer credit.

Who do I contact if I still have questions regarding the admissions and enrollment process?

For other questions regarding admissions and enrollment process, please call +82-32-626-5021 or send an email to

Application Documents

What is an official transcript?

Transcripts must be sent directly from your secondary school, college, university, or home institution in an official, sealed envelope with a stamp or signature from the appropriate administrative offices.

An email from your high school or university account to our campus, which contains attached transcripts, recommendation letters, or other supplementary documents, is considered official.

Please note your G Number and official English on the envelope or on the email body.

A photocopied, scanned, or faxed transcript sent by an applicant is not considered official.

Where do I send my application documents?

All supplemental documents should be sent to either the Office of Admissions and Enrollment at George Mason University’s Korea campus in Incheon, South Korea, or to the Office of Admissions in Fairfax, Virginia, United States.


Incheon Address:

George Mason University Korea

Office of Admissions and Enrollment, #G405

119 Songdomunhwa-ro, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon, Korea


Telephone: +82-32-626-5021

Fax: +82-32-626-5402



Fairfax Address:

George Mason University

Office of Admissions, MSN 3A4

4400 University Drive

Fairfax, VA 22030, USA

Telephone: +1-703-993-2400

Fax: +1-703-993-4622

Test Scores

Is an SAT or ACT exam required for admission to George Mason University Korea?

No. All international students with a competitive high school curriculum and grade point average (as determined by the Office of Admissions) can be considered for admission without an SAT or ACT score.

However, all U.S. high school graduates are required to submit New SAT Evidence Based score of 500 or higher (*subject to change) or ACT English and Reading score of 20 or higher.

GED students are an exception. However, please be aware that an SAT or ACT score may potentially be beneficial for scholarship consideration.

Do I need to prove I am fluent in English?

If your native language is not English, you are required to demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency may be demonstrated by providing a sufficient score in TOEFL, IELTS, SAT critical reading, or ACT reading.

What are the institution codes and reporting requirements for TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, and ACT?

  • TOEFL (5827)
  • SAT (5827)
  • ACT (4357)

For the TOEFL, SAT, and ACT exams, please use the respective code and have your electronic-only score reports sent to the main campus in Fairfax, Virginia in addition to reporting the scores to us.

For students only taking the IELTS exam, we accept hard copies of score reports, and they can be sent to either the Korea campus or the Fairfax campus.

Academics and Financial Aid

Is studying abroad at the Fairfax, Virginia campus a requirement?

Generally yes. All Korea campus students are expected to spend two semesters of study at the main campus in Fairfax, Virginia. Students normally spend their sixth and seventh semesters of study on the Fairfax campus. Generally, not spending two semesters at the Fairfax campus will result in impossibility pursuing the advanced coursework necessary for graduation, which may only be available at the main campus.

What are classes like?

All courses offered on the Korea campus adhere to the same rigorous standards of the main campus in Virginia to maintain exceptional academic quality and accreditation, with oversight by the University’s respective schools. Additionally, all non-foreign language courses are strictly taught in English. Also, both students and professors of various disciplines and backgrounds visit from the Fairfax campus each semester, which provides numerous great opportunities for friendship and learning. Students may also take courses from other Incheon Global Campus universities.

What is the ratio of students to professors?

The ratio of students to professors is approximately 12:1. Korea campus students maintain close relationships with their professors through academic advising and career mentoring assistance.

How diverse is the student body on the Korea campus?

There is a diverse student body with students coming to the Korea campus from 25 countries, including a large group of students from the United States. Additionally, over 60 percent of our students studied abroad, which helps make the campus atmosphere more vibrant and global.

Are student loans offered?

We do not currently offer student loans.

Are scholarships offered? If so, how do I apply?

Yes. George Mason University’s Korea campus offers an entrance scholarship exclusively to incoming undergraduate freshman and transfer students. Our entrance scholarship is renewable for up to six (6) 16-week full-time semesters at the Korea campus, including online distance courses intended for Korea campus students. The award value is dependent upon a holistic, evaluative review of the candidate that considers many factors, including the candidate’s personal experiences, skills, essay, and academic performance. Separate scholarship opportunities are available for continuing students, including the year at the Fairfax, Virginia main campus.

Please refer to this link for more details: Scholarships.

Am I allowed to study longer than two semesters at the Fairfax, Virginia Campus?

Generally yes. Students are allowed to spend additional time at the main campus at their own discretion, up to, and including, graduation.

Campus Life

Will I be required to live in on-campus housing?

No. It is not mandatory for students to live on campus while studying at George Mason University. Many Korea campus students regularly commute from Incheon or Seoul. Similarly, many of our students live in off-campus housing while studying abroad at the main campus.

What is the cost of the Korea campus dormitory?

Each semester, the cost is approximately USD 1400 for a single room and USD 950 for a double room.

A detailed breakdown of Incheon Global Campus housing costs may be found at this link: IGC Housing website.

Which Korea campus student clubs or organizations may I join?

There are a range of diverse clubs and organizations to join. Recently, those included the Sports Club, Music Club, Newspaper Club, Dance Club, and more. You may also easily form your own organization and receive support through the Korea campus Office of Student Affairs.

Please refer to this link for a list of registered clubs: Student Clubs.