John Kalung Leung
Computational Data Sciences, Natural Language Processing, High-Performance Computing, and Recommender Systems
John Kalung Leung is a renowned scholar in Emotion Aware Recommender Systems. He holds a Ph.D. in Computational Sciences and Informatics from George Mason University (2021), an Executive MBA from the University of Texas at Arlington (2008), a Master of Science in Computer Science from Johns Hopkins University (1990), and a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from American University (1984). With over 20 years of IT industry experience, Dr. Leung has held leadership positions in software R&D for the Fed, fintech, mobile e-commerce, and messaging systems. He has incubated and spinoff media recommender services and directed network edge security sales and services business operations in APAC. He has published numerous conference proceedings and journal articles and was awarded a patent on "Distribution of Digitally Encoded Presentations" (1998). As an Assistant Professor at George Mason University Korea, Dr. Leung is dedicated to imparting his knowledge and experience to the next generation of Data Scientists. He is a proud alumnus of several industry organizations, a keynote speaker at international conferences, and a peer reviewer for several journals.
- John Kalung Leung, Emotion Aware Recommender Systems, George Manson University Library, Mason Archival Repository Service, 2021.
- Peter Poon, John Kalung Leung, and Fred Tze-Keung Tong, inventors
1998 Distribution of digitally encoded presentations, International Business Machines Corp, assignee, United States patent US 5,838,912. 1998 Nov 17.
Expanded Publication List
Papers Published in Conference Proceedings
- Leung, J.; Griva, I.; Kennedy, W.; Kinser, J.; Park, S. and Lee, S. (2023). The Application of Affective Measures in Text-Based Emotion Aware Recommender Systems. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Data Science, Technology and Applications - DATA - Volume 1; ISBN 978-989-758-664-4; ISSN 2184-285X, SciTePress, pages 590-597. DOI: 10.5220/0012143900003541
- John Kalung Leung, Igor Griva, and William G. Kennedy, 2021 Making Cross-Domain Recommendations by Associating Disjoint Users and Items Through the Affective Aware Pseudo Association Method, David C. Wyld et al. (Eds): AIAP, SIGML, CNSA, NIAI - 2021 pp. 113-129, 2021. CS & IT - CSCP 2021, DOI: 10.5121/csit.2021.110108.
- John Kalung Leung, Igor Griva, and William G. Kennedy, Text-based Emotion Aware Recommender, David C. Wyld et al. (Eds): CCSEA, BIoT, DKMP, CLOUD, NLCAI, SIPRO - 2020 pp. 101-114, 2020, DOI:10.5121/csit.2020.101009.
- John Kalung Leung, Igor Griva, and William G. Kennedy, Using Affective Features from Media Content Metadata for Better Movie Recommendations, In Proceedings of the 12th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management - Volume 1: KDIR, 161-168, 2020, DOI: 10.5220/0010056201610168.
Papers Published in Journals
- John Kalung Leung, Igor Griva, and William G. Kennedy, Applying the Affective Aware Pseudo Association Method to Enhance the Top-N Recommendations Distribution to Users in Group Emotion Recommender Systems, International Journal on Natural Language Computing (IJNLC) Vol. 10, No. 1, February 2021, DOI: 10.5121/ijnlc.2021.10101.
- John Kalung Leung, Igor Griva, and William G. Kennedy, An Affective Aware Pseudo Association Method to Connect Disjoint Users Across Multiple Datasets - An Enhanced Validation Method for Text-based Emotion Aware Recommender, International Journal on Natural Language Computing (IJNLC) Vol. 9, No. 4, August 2020, DOI: 10.5121/ijnlc.2020.9402.
- Ph.D. in Computational Sciences and Informatics, George Mason University, Virginia, 2021
- EMBA University of Texas at Arlington, Texas, 2008
- M.S. in Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, 1990
- B.S. in Computer Science, American University, Washington D.C., 1984