how to apply


Freshman Requirements

The following factors are considered when reviewing applications for admission:

  • Completed online application and application fee
  • Certified official, original transcripts from all secondary schools as well as official results from any leaving certificates or university entrance exams taken. A certified English translation must be submitted for any documents not already in English. All application materials are property of George Mason University and will not be returned to the applicant, nor shared with another individual, institution, or organization under any circumstances.  
  • Official scores from SAT or ACT. International students may be considered for admission with no SAT or ACT test score via the score optional admission program. This program allows for highly qualified students to be evaluated with no SAT or ACT score. More information can be found on our Score Optional information page. International applicants to engineering or computer science majors within the Volgenau School of Engineering are required to submit SAT or ACT scores.
  • Verification of English language proficiency. See the English Proficiency requirements page.
  • Secondary School Report (PDF)and counselor recommendations. We suggest sending two (2) letters of recommendation, one from a high school counselor and one from a teacher. There is no special recommendation form and letters can be submitted electronically or via e-mail to
  • Essay or personal statement on a topic of your choice.
  • Bank statement, Copy of passport, Certificate of Financial Responsibility, Proof of health insurance, Proof of Funding, FedEx shipping label. 


Transfer Requirements

The Admissions Committee considers each transfer application individually, reviewing all grades received in courses attempted as well as the rigor of the applicant’s academic program. There are certain requirements all transfer applicants must present:

  • Completed online application and application fee
  • Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended sent directly to Mason from the institution
  • A certified English translation for documents not already in English
  • A certified course-by-course evaluation for all post-secondary level studies completed outside of the U.S at institutions that do not hold regional accreditation in the United States.  GPA and Degree equivalencies must be included with your course- by-course evaluation.  All fees charged by translators or external evaluators must be paid by the student. We require an evaluation from one of the following:
  • Verification of English language proficiency. See English proficiency requirements below.
  • An essay. Although optional, applicants are encouraged to use the essay to provide information about their background that can’t be gleaned from a resume.
  • Resume for any applicant with gaps in enrollment
  • Bank statement, Copy of passport, Certificate of Financial Responsibility, Proof of health insurance, Proof of Funding, FedEx shipping label. .

Transfer applicants with fewer than the equivalent to 30 university credits are required to submit:

  • Secondary school transcript
  • ACT or SAT scores

Evaluation of International Education for Transfer Credit

George Mason University will consider transfer credit earned at institutions of higher education outside of the United States that are fully recognized by an official accrediting organization or government ministry. We review your transcript, international credential evaluation, and all other resources at our disposal.

Criteria for transfer credit:

The Office of Admissions needs additional information in order to evaluate your coursework for the appropriate Mason course equivalency. After you have been admitted, you should submit:

  • Courses must be university-level coursework
  • A minimum grade of C (2.0) was earned. Courses graded on a Pass/Fail basis do not transfer
  • English-language courses completed in institutions without U.S. regional accreditation do not transfer
  • Only courses applicable to a Mason degree will transfer
  • Transferrable courses transfer the same semester credits as shown on the evaluation. The maximum total number of credits that may transfer, from all previously attended institutions combined, is 90 credits. The Office of Admissions will make the final determination of the award and applicability of any international credit.
    • Catalog course descriptions or syllabi for courses being considered for transfer
    • Course information must be in English

If your institution does not issue English-language course descriptions, you may use a certified translator. Please submit course descriptions to the Office of Admissions in a timely manner to enable us to prepare your Transfer Credit Evaluation in time for orientation.

International Student Visa (Non-Korean)

All undergraduate and graduate international applicants must be eligible to study with their visa at George Mason University Korea.

Visa Eligibility

If you are a non-Korean citizen wanting to study at George Mason University Korea, you must first obtain the D-2 visa. Please check with the Korea Immigration Service at this link: Full Immigration Guideline.

If you possess a visa other than D-2, you are required to visit the Immigration Office for confirmation of the eligibility of studying abroad with your current visa.

If you do not have the eligibility to study abroad, you must obtain an appropriate visa to study abroad or obtain an approval on your current visa for allowance of studying abroad.

Even if you carry a valid visa for study abroad, you must apply for an update before the semester begins to reflect the affiliated school information on your visa at the Korean Immigration Office.

If you have a C-3 visa (short-term permission for general purpose) instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arrival through the Korean Immigration Office.

++ Dual citizen students with South Korean nationality may be subject to additional legal requirements;

Male dual citizen students with South Korean nationality may be subject to South Korea’s military requirements. Male dual citizen students with South Korean nationality must resolve dual citizenship military requirements with their current country of residence’s Embassy of the Republic of Korea.

Immigration for International Students

◈ Generally

Students will need to contact the South Korea embassy or consulate in their country to apply for a South Korea student visa (i.e., the D-2 visa). Below is a list of documents generally required for application. Documents may be added or exempted as needed at the discretion of the immigration officer in charge of individual review processes. Students are highly recommended to contact their local South Korea Embassy, Consulate, or Immigration Office for the most updated visa information and requirements.

  1. Application form with passport photo (color; 3.5cm x 4.5cm; taken within the past six months)
    *The application is also available at the embassy, consulate, and Immigration Office
  2. One copy of your passport (bio-data page)
  3. Signed certificate of admission (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  4. George Mason University Korea business registration certificate (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  5. Letter of admission (provided by George Mason University Korea)
  6. Official transcript
  7. Application fee (varies according to country; $45 USD in the United States, cash or money order to “Embassy of Korea”)
  8. Valid passport

Proof of funding is required before George Mason University Korea will send you items 3, 4, and 5. Please read OIPS – Proof of Funding for more information. If your parents are sponsoring you financially, additional proof of your relationship may be required (e.g., copy of birth certificate).

◈ D2 Visa Application Checklist

Step 1:

Please send the following documents to the Office of Student Affairs ( to receive the required supporting documents for the D-2 Visa.

  1. Copy of Passport (Biography Page)
  2. Certificate of Financial Responsibility
  3. Proof of Funding (More Information)
    1. Statement MUST be within 6 months from the date of submission, with official stamp, signature, and seal
    2. If statements are under the sponsor’s name, the student would need to provide proof of relationship (If parents are the sponsors, birth certificate must be submitted)
  4. Proof of Health Insurance (Coverage in South Korea during their study)
  5. Fedex Shipping Label

Step 2:

To prepare for the D-2 visa, you would need the following information:

  1. Completed visa application form with passport sized picture (Color, 3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  2. Copy of passport (biography page)
  3. Signed Certificate of Admission*
  4. Business registration *
  5. Letter of Admission*
  6. Official Transcript (GMU Registrar Office may confirm the enrollment status as official grades may be unavailable at the time of application)
  7. Application fee:  approx.. USD $45 dollars, depends on Embassy (acceptable: cash or money order to “Embassy of Korea”).
  8. Valid passport

*Sent from GMU-Korea.  Students will not receive these 3 documents without the completed CFR and proof of funding.

CFR is the Certificate of Financial Responsibility for proof of funding. Please find the list of acceptable documents for the Proof of Funding.

◈ Additional Resources

Please contact the Office of Admissions at or at +82-32-626-5021 for further details on required documents and materials for the visa.