Sam Machour Scholarship
The Sam Machour scholarship provides support for full-time, direct-entry Mason Korea undergraduate students who have completed at least one semester. The scholarship acknowledges the generosity of Sam Machour, who endowed the scholarship and whose own life and career reflect a dedication to helping others. Recipients must have financial needs and demonstrate evidence of significant community service. Additional preference will be given to applicants excelling in an academically challenging course of studies, such as the pursuit of a double major, a major and a minor, or participation in research projects or other high-impact academic practices. Differences among subjects of study do not determine whether a course of study is academically challenging.
Mr. Sam Machour is currently Senior Vice-President and Chief Quality Officer of Samsung Biologics, one of the largest biologics development and manufacturing companies in the world. Prior to joining Samsung Biologics, he spent more than 32 years helping mid-size and large MedTech, bioscience, and biopharmaceutical companies deliver on their mission to transform and save lives around the world. Mr. Machour has held a variety of senior and global leadership positions in some of the world’s largest biopharmaceutical companies, including Lonza, Pfizer, GSK, Johnson & Johnson, Becton Dickinson, and Boehringer Ingelheim. His passion to help others out of poverty and get basic healthcare and education spans his career. In 2007, while at Harvard, he launched the organization Executives Without Borders to connect management professionals and non-profits around the globe, so as to accelerate and maximize the delivery of social value. Mr. Machour holds a Master’s degree from Concordia University in Physics and is a graduate of the Harvard Business School. He is a member of several advisory boards, including the advisory board to Mason Korea.
Fall semesters only
- $1,200 award to be used towards students' tuition for Fall semester
- This scholarship is not renewable.
- The scholarship winners must be enrolled as full-time students (12 credits or more per semester) at Mason Korea
To qualify for the Sam Machour Scholarship for Current Students, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have been admitted as a student at George Mason University Korea in a degree-seeking program
- Direct-entry Mason Korea undergraduate students who have completed at least one semester
- Demonstrate evidence of a financial need
- Demonstrate evidence of significant community services
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Preference will be given to applicants excelling in an academically challenging course of studies, such as the pursuit of a double major, a major, and a minor, or participation in research projects or other high-impact academic practices. Differences among subjects of study shall not determine whether a course of study is academically challenging.
- Be enrolled, or eligible to be enrolled during the semester for which the funding is being requested (no academic or conduct suspensions, or full academic withdrawals)
Please submit your online application by the deadline. Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee.
Provide necessary supporting documentation in the online application:
- Online application
- Unofficial Transcript
- Completed MK FAFSA Worksheet (Attached to the online application)
- Family Relation Certificate (부모 중 한 명의 가족관계 증명서) - under your parent's name to show the list of your siblings
- Agreement of Collection and Usage of Personal Information
- Both parents' Health Insurance Payment Document 건강보험료납부확인서또는건강보험료산정내역서 (https://www.nhis.or.kr/)
- Both parents' Certificates of Income (소득금액증명원), which can be downloaded from minwon.go.kr
- If you or your parents did not have income, Statement of Zero Income (무소득사실증명원; 사실증명-신고사실없음) which can be obtained by visiting the district tax office or at Hometax (hometax.gto.kr)
- Other financial documents such as 국민기초생활수급자증명서, 한부모가족 증명서, 장애인연금수급자 확인서, 자활근로자 확인사, etc. if applicable.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org