Stearns Global Education Fund
Stearns Global Education Fund provides support for Mason Korea students and Mason Fairfax students traveling to or from the Mason Korea campus. Recipients must demonstrate financial need.
Scholarship recipients may be either
- Mason Korea students who are traveling to the Mason US campuses for their year of study in the US.
- Mason US students traveling to Mason Korea to pursue a semester or year of study abroad, including Global Gateway students.
The scholarship is named for University Provost Emeritus Peter N. Stearns, a major contributor to the scholarship fund, a powerful advocate for international education, and, while University Provost, a driving force behind the establishment of Mason Korea. Professor Stearns became Provost and Professor of History at George Mason University in 2000 and served as Provost until 2014. He has taught previously at Harvard, the University of Chicago, Rutgers, and Carnegie Mellon. During Professor Stearns' tenure as Provost, George Mason more than tripled its level of funded research and tripled its number of doctoral programs, as well as establishing a center to advance teaching and learning, now named for Stearns, a nationally recognized undergraduate research program and several new interdisciplinary initiatives. In addition, Professor Stearns spearheaded initiatives to expand the university’s global presence. Besides Mason Korea, the university established the INTO Mason partnership to increase the number and diversity of students recruited from abroad. Each of these projects was deeply rooted in the desire to increase global understanding and opportunities for constructive collaboration among different societies. Professor Stearns received the prestigious Mason Medal in 2014; that same year, the university was awarded the Senator Paul Simon Spotlight Award for Campus Internationalization. He currently serves on the advisory board to Mason Korea.
For the Spring 2024 semester, apply by January 4, 2024 KST
- $1,000 award to be used towards students' tuition for the following semester. The awards are applicable only towards Spring and Fall semester tuition. The awards do not apply to summer term tuition.
- This scholarship is not renewable.
To qualify for the Stearns Global Education Fund for Current Students, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have been admitted as a student at Mason Korea or George Mason University in a degree-seeking program
- Submitted all the necessary documents to study abroad from or to Mason Korea
- Demonstrate evidence of a financial need
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Be enrolled, or eligible to be enrolled during the semester for which the funding is being requested (no academic or conduct suspensions, or full academic withdrawals)
Please submit your online application by the deadline. Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee.
- Mason US students traveling to Mason Korea Campus:
- Online Application (Mason US to MK)
- Unofficial Transcript
- FAFSA application on file with GMU
- Agreement of Collection and Usage of Personal Information (ENG page only)
- Mason Korea students traveling to Fairfax Campus:
- Online Application (MK to Fairfax)
- Unofficial Transcript
- Completed GMUK FAFSA Worksheet
- Family Relation Certificate (부모 중 한 명의 가족관계 증명서) - under your parent's name to show the list of your siblings
- Agreement of Collection and Usage of Personal Information
- Both parents' Health Insurance Payment Document 건강보험료납부확인서또는건강보험료산정내역서 (https://www.nhis.or.kr/)
- Please do not submit 건강보험 자격확인서
- Both parents' Certificates of Income (소득금액증명원), which can be downloaded from minwon.go.kr
- If you or your parents did not have income, Statement of Zero Income (무소득사실증명원; 사실증명-신고사실없음) which can be obtained by visiting the district tax office or at Hometax (hometax.gto.kr)
- Other financial documents such as 국민기초생활수급자증명서, 한부모가족 증명서, 장애인연금수급자 확인서, 자활근로자 확인사, etc. if applicable. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com