New D-2 Visa

International students entering from overseas should obtain a student visa (D-2) from the South Korean Embassy or Consulate in their country.

In order to apply for a student visa (D-2), students must first receive a document called the "Certificate of Admission"  from Mason Korea. After receiving the certificate, students can proceed and apply for a visa at the Korean Embassy or Consulate.

The whole process could take about 4 - 6 weeks to be fully completed. Students must start these processes at least one month before the semester starts.


Certificate of Admission

Certificate of Admission(COA) is a document issued by the university to officially show our endorsement of your student visa/status application. COA is one of the major documents required for the student visa (D-2) application.


Application for COA

To issue the Certificate of Admission, the University is required by law to verify that a student is financially sustainable to pay for the cost of his or her academic program. Students will be required to provide personal information and proof of funding.

Estimated Total Costs In-State Domicile Out-of-State Domicile
D-2-2 Students
Studying in Korea for 1 year or more
USD 22,116 USD 29,000
D-2-8 Students
Studying in Korea for 6 - 12 months
USD 11,058 USD 14,500

COA will be issued during the application period specified below. The process could take up to 2 weeks to be completed.

  • Fall admission: June and July
  • Spring admission: December and January



COA Issuance

When your application for COA gets approved, you will receive the following documents which you can use to apply for a D-2 visa/status.

  1. Certificate of Admission
  2. Letter of Admission/Acceptance
  3. Mason Korea Business Registration Certificate


New D-2 Visa

After receiving COA, students should apply for a D-2 visa individually at the Korean embassy/consulate. It could take up to 2 - 3 weeks for the embassy/consulate to review an application and issue a D-2 visa.


Required Documents

University will provide:

  1. Certificate of Admission
  2. Letter of Admission/Acceptance
  3. Mason Korea Business Registration Certificate


You should prepare:

  1. Passport (must have at least 6 months of validity)
  2. One copy of your passport (bio-data page)
  3. Passport photo (color; 3.5cm x 4.5cm; taken within the past six months)
  4. Official transcript
    • For D-2-2 visa, submit a transcript from your high school or higher education institution you attended immediately before joining Mason
    • For D-2-3 visa, submit a transcript from your undergraduate degree institution and your undergraduate degree certificate
    • For D-2-8 visa, submit a transcript from your current institution
  5. Proof of Funding (use the one you submit for the COA application)
  6. Application fee: 45 - 60 USD depending on the embassy/consulate in your home country.



For Mason US students (Study Abroad & Global Gateway), please consult with your program officer about the embassy visit.

Make a reservation to visit the embassy/consulate at

All applicants must pre-book an appointment online before they can come in to drop off the application packet in person. Visit the above website and click on “Reservation to Visit a diplomatic mission”. Gain temporary access to the system as a “Non-Member” by providing/verifying your email address. After logging in, you should be able to select a date you wish to visit the embassy.