Alien Registration & Rules

International students who entered Korea with a new D-2 visa must visit the local immigration office in person and apply for Alien Registration. The visit must be made within 90 days of arrival to the country. The failure to apply for the Alien Registration may result in legal penalties. Upon completing the alien registration, you will receive your alien registration and period of sojourn.


Application for Alien Registration

To apply for Alien Registration, students must check in to the Office of International Student Services and meet the international student advisor within a week from their arrival. For the Alien Registration, students can visit the office on a walk-in basis. 

Please visit the International Student Services office with the following items. 

  1. Passport
  2. Passport photo (color; 3.5cm x 4.5cm; taken within the past six months) 
  3. D-2 visa document issued by the embassy
  4. Application fee (KRW 34,000)
  5. Certificate of off-campus residency (rental contract) *
    * applicable only to off-campus students.
  6. Proof of Negative Tuberculosis (TB) Test Result **
    ** applicable only to citizens in one of the following countries.

Angola, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Cambodia, China, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zimbabwe

The university will handle the collection and submission of student applications to the Incheon Immigration office. Once your application gets approved, you'll need to personally visit the Incheon immigration office to register your thumbprints. When the cards are ready, students will be notified to pick up their ARCs from the Mason Korea University Life office. The entire process may take around 6 - 8 weeks, subject to the workload of the Incheon immigration office.


Important Rules & Regulations

As registered foreigner, it is important to understand and comply with the laws and regulations of Korea including ones set by university but also Korea immigration office, and other relevant authorities. Adhering to these rules not only ensures your safety and well-being but also helps you have a positive and fruitful academic experience in South Korea.


Rule 1: Keep your alien registration card valid.

Having a valid alien registration card (ARC) is crucial for maintaining your legal status as an international student in Korea. If your ARC expires, you risk being considered an illegal immigrant, which can lead to penalties such as administrative holds, immigration interviews, fines, and even deportation. To avoid these consequences, D-2 students should apply for an Extension of Sojourn at least two months before their ARC expires.


Rule 2: Report any changes to your passport promptly to University Life International Services.

A valid passport is essential for international travel and may be necessary for obtaining and maintaining valid immigration status in Korea. If your passport is nearing its expiration date, make sure to renew it as soon as possible at the embassy or consulate of your home country. Keep in mind that some countries may require additional documents or fees for passport renewal, so it's important to research the requirements beforehand. Submit a copy of the new passport to University Life International Services at as soon as you receive it from the embassy or consulate. A report to the immigration must be made within 15 days from the passport issue date. Otherwise, you may be subjected to administrative penalties and fines.


Rule 3: Report any changes in your address promptly to University Life International Services.

D-2 students are responsible for reporting to the immigration authority with the most up-to-date address. When there is a change in your address, submit a proof of residency (IGC housing residency certificate, rental contract, etc.) to University Life International Services at A report to the immigration must be made within 15 days from the date you moved in to your new residence. Otherwise, you may be subjected to administrative penalties and fines.


Rule 4: Obtain a re-entry permit if you plan to leave Korea for more than a year.

If you intend to leave Korea for more than a year, make sure to obtain a Re-Entry Permit from the immigration office. However, if your leave is shorter than a year, the permit is not required, and you can re-enter Korea as long as your ARC remains valid.


Rule 5: Obtain a work permit for any off-campus employment positions.

Consult with University Life International Services before signing any employment contract. For any off-campus employment positions, make sure to obtain a Work Permit from the immigration office.